Ohhhh man! Can you feel the heat? July weather is definitely in full swing, which is awesome! Swimming, picnics, camping, water fights– it’s the best. But let’s keep it real, here. July weather can be a bit like an overbearing friend. We love you man, but can you just chill out for a moment? Please?!
That’s why I love summer drinks. Ice cold pitchers of refreshing goodness always taste better when you are dying for relief from the heat. I mean, think about it. Reflect on the best cold drink you have ever tasted. I’d be willing to bet my bacon that it was an ice cold drink that felt like a life saver on an intensely hot day.
This drink is designed to be that saving grace from the heat. It’s all about one word: refreshing. Cool cucumbers? Let’s throw those in there. Tangy, bright citrus? Yes! This drink is inspired by lemonade, but is 10 times better for so many reasons. Here are just a few:
- Lemonade is refreshing, but it’s also chocked full of sugar, which can make your body heat up even more! This agua is lower in sugar and you can adjust the sweetness to your taste.
- Count ’em. 1, 2, 3, 4 citrus fruits. More fruit = more flavor. Enough said.
- Cucumbers! This drink is like lemonade with a brisk twist (say that 10 times fast). Not only do cucumbers make you feel cooler, they are alkalizing and bursting with vitamins and minerals. They take hydration to a whole other level.
- This drink is less work than lemonade. Why? As we talked about above, the variety of citrus yields a more dynamic, complex flavor. What this means is that you don’t have to juice as much fruit to get a killer drink.
This agua is so easy to make, but there are a few things you can do to make sure it is the best.
- Use Fresh Fruit – The older the fruit, the more bitter it tends to get. So for a drink where you can enjoy the complexity of the flavor without bitterness, get fresh!
- Peel the Cucumber – This will, once again, keep bitterness at bay.
- Garnish at the Last Minute – Your delicious slices of fresh citrus have something potentially dangerous lurking inside. It’s the pith. That white layer between the zest and the fruit of a citrus. It is, you guessed it, bitter! So save your gorgeous garnish for the final minute before serving.
Tell us about the best cold drink that has ever touched your lips! We want to hear all about it. See you next time!
- 2 lemons
- 1 lime
- 1 orange
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 cucumber, washed
- 4 cups water, divided
- ¼ -1/3 cup sugar
- ice for serving
- For the lemons, lime, orange, grapefruit, and cucumber, cut 3 slices from each and set aside as garnish. Place a strainer over a blender and squeeze the juice from the lemons, lime, orange, and grapefruit into the blender.
- Peel the cucumber and cut into small pieces. Place in the blender with the citrus juices, 1 cup of water, and the sugar. Blend on high for about 15 seconds.
- Strain the mixture and place in a pitcher along with the remaining 3 cups of water. Stir to combine. Chill in the refrigerator until completely cold, about 3 hours. Serve the agua over ice and garnish, as desired with the sliced fruit and cucumber. Enjoy!